The Gothenburg Award for Sustainable Development is given each year to people or organisations for outstanding performance and achievements towards a sustainable future. The price is 1 million swedish krona (SEK) and shows what is possible and necessary for a brighter future.
”For outstanding contributions towards a more sustainable future.”
The award may be given to a person or organisation that has contributed to:
- conserving resources and/or furthering renewable raw materials or ecological solutions
- the solution to a problem (area) that can lead to a technological breakthrough or “system change”
- creating and/or driving a process concerning the environment which has been important for the Göteborg region as well as in a larger perspective
- development towards greater global justice.
The Gothenburg Award is administrated by an association with a board made up of the politicians Ulf Kamne, Ann-Sofie Hermansson, Helene Odenjung, president of the environmental committee Kristina Jonäng, businessman Carl Bennet and CEO Second AP Fund, Eva Halvarsson. Its office is located in Gothenburg.
Centre for Environment and Sustainability (GMV), is the hub for the Gothenburg Award for Sustainable Development organization. GMV provides the coordinator for the Gothenburg Award’s board and jury. Chalmers University of Technology and the University of Gothenburg is together head of GMV.
A sustainable event
The Gothenburg Award for Sustainable development operates according to ecological, social and economically sustainable principles. The event is certified according to the City of Gothenburg environmental diploma.
Some of the things we do:
- Certify the event according to the City of Gothenburg environmental diploma.
- Serve organic & Fairtrade labeled coffee.
- Cooperate with the organization Fairtrade City Gothenburg in our effort to use more fair trade labeled products.
- Only serve vegetarian and seasonal foods and drinks during the event.
- Serve meals with at least 70% organic ingredients.
- Do not serve bottled still water, but prefer local tap water.
Read more here: Things we do
Only Clean tap water is served here.
Healthy and sustianable, without transport or waste.